Braking is an important consideration when towing a trailer.
If your vehicle is not able to stop safely while towing, then you are breaking the law and endangering your own safety.
Electric trailer brakes are a great, safe option for keeping you, your vehicle and your load safe.
So, what are they and why should you choose them?
These are the exact questions we are answering in this article, so keep reading to find out all the info on electric trailer brakes.
Electric Trailer Brakes Explained: Why Choose Them?
What Are Electric Trailer Brakes?
Electric trailer brakes are a type of braking system designed for trailers that are towed by passenger vehicles. That much sounds self-explanatory! These electric brakes are installed on the trailer and are activated by a brake controller in the towing vehicle.
When the driver applies the brakes in the towing vehicle, the electric brake controller sends a signal to the trailer brakes. That triggers the application of the electric brakes on the trailer wheels. Like any braking system, it helps to slow down or stop the trailer. Utilising electric brakes reduces the strain on the towing vehicle’s brakes.
An effective braking system can be adjusted to provide the optimal amount of braking power for the trailer’s weight and load. They also provide smoother, more controlled braking, which can be particularly important when towing heavy loads.
How Do Electric Trailer Brakes Work?
When you are towing a trailer, you are asking a lot of the braking system of your towing vehicle. Not only does it have to brake for its own purposes, but it has the added weight and force of the trailer connected. Electric brakes provide extra braking support so that you are not wholly reliant on the brakes of your towing vehicle.
Electric trailer brakes work by using a sensor that is controlled by the tow vehicle’s braking system. A controller is typically installed in the towing vehicle and is connected to the trailer’s electrical system. When the driver applies the brakes in the towing vehicle, the brake controller sends a signal to the trailer brakes through the trailer’s wiring harness.
The signal sent by the brake controller causes an electromagnet in each trailer brake to activate. When you release the brakes in the towing vehicle, the brake controller stops sending a signal to the trailer brakes. The electromagnet is released, and normal towing is resumed.
Electric trailer brakes can be adjusted to provide the appropriate amount of braking force for the weight of the trailer and the load being carried. This is either done by manual adjustment on the trailer’s brakes or the brake controller can be adjusted to control the amount of braking force applied by the trailer brakes in response to the towing vehicle’s brakes.
What Are The Benefits Of Electric Trailer Brakes?
Electric trailer brakes have a number of benefits when it comes to towing:
- Improved safety: Electric trailer brakes can improve the safety of your towing setup as they provide better stopping power and more control when braking. They can help reduce the risk of accidents and prevent excessive wear and tear on your towing vehicle’s brakes.
- Smoother braking: Electric trailer brakes can provide smoother, more controlled braking compared to other types of trailer brakes, such as inertia or hydraulic brakes. This can be particularly important when towing heavy loads or travelling over rough and uneven surfaces.
- Increased control: With electric trailer brakes, the driver has greater control over the braking of the trailer. The brake controller can be adjusted to provide the appropriate amount of braking force for the weight of the trailer and the load being carried.
- Easy to install: Electric trailer brakes are generally easy to install and can be retrofitted to many types of trailers. They can also be easily adjusted and maintained to ensure optimal performance. Chat with our team today about having electric brakes fitted to your trailer or choosing a trailer that already has the capability.
- Versatility: Electric trailer brakes are compatible with a wide range of towing vehicles and trailers, making them a versatile option for a variety of towing requirements.
Electric Brake Installation
In order to use electric brakes, your towing vehicle must have a controller installed. Unless you have good mechanical knowledge, this is a job that should be undertaken by a professional.
Here at Lucca Trailers, we are experts in all things trailers, so we can get your electric brakes sorted. All of our trailers come with the option of electric brakes for improved safety and control.
Chat with us about your needs today and we can help you find the perfect towing solution.